<meta content="blog">

A metablog about blogs and blogging.

14 July 2005

Bloggers Need Not Apply

The Chronicle of Higher Education recently ran an article reminding job seekers to NOT tell potential employers about their blogging addiction. That's a no brainer to me! Would you photocopy your diary and staple it to your resume?


In some cases, a Google search of the candidate's name turned up his or her blog. Other candidates told us about their Web site, even making sure we had the URL so we wouldn't fail to find it. In one case, a candidate had mentioned it in the cover letter. We felt compelled to follow up in each of those instances, and it turned out to be every bit as eye-opening as a train wreck.


(Chronicle)


(The Chronicle is perhaps the best place for job hunting in academia.)

Interestingly, they turned up some of these blogs with just a Google search. Well let me tell you, you'll be hard pressed to find this one thru my real name! Go ahead, I challenge you to find my real name from my blogs if you don't already know me. If you do, send me an email and let me know how you found it.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:20 PM, August 22, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have to disagree with your assessment that telling an employer about your blog is like stapling our diary to your resume. A weblog is actually nothing like a diary, but it's still probably not a good idea to tell your boss, because everyone knows that most bloggers post during daytime hours. I think even having a Livejournal is a good reason not be hired.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home