<meta content="blog">

A metablog about blogs and blogging.

01 September 2005

Comment Spamming

How appropriate that it is on this blog of mine that I suddenly face comment spamming. Having only recently learned the term, correct me if I get it wrong. Comment spamming is when someone (or lots of someones, or the same someone lots of times) posts "content-less" comments on your blog essentially saying "come visit my website/blog." To see this in action, check out these posts. As this is often automated, Blogger now has a "human-verification" option where commenters have to type in some letters they see in order to be able to post the comment. My apologies to the real humans out there for adding the inconvenience, but hopefully now comments will be useful.

2 Comments:

  • At 12:49 PM, September 13, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well, it's not someone(s), unless you consider automated spambots to be people. That's the thing: They're programs that look for open commenting systems and automatically post information where they can. Adding links on such open territory boosts their Google ranking, and helps the linked-to sites show up higher in search results.

    Yeah, it's a scummy practice. The captchas ("word verification") will help, but I've heard those are now crackable. It's a constant battle.

     
  • At 1:18 PM, September 13, 2005, Blogger zandperl said…

    *nods* Just to clarify, when I said "someone", yes I was also including "somethings" such as the spambots - hence my calling the word-verification process a "human verification".

    But the boosting of their rank in Google hadn't occurred to me. I think I shall go back and delete that comment spam. I do still wonder how they got ahold of this blog and not any of my others.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home