<meta content="blog">

A metablog about blogs and blogging.

28 August 2005

Anti-ACLU

I am a liberal, if you haven't yet figured it out. I think the American Civil Liberties Union is doing wonderful things for our country, helping enforce the separation of Church and State (prayer in schools, evolution vs ID, 10 Commandments in courthouses), ensuring that all are treated equally in the eyes of the law (gay rights), and helping defend people who are unable to defend themselves (people detained at Guantanamo Bay). Despite being a liberal, I totally understand that there are many people who disagree with my beliefs, and feel that the ACLU is undermining their way of life. What I don't get is people who think that the ACLU is communist, anarchist, and wishes to take away people's rights. (If nothing else, communism and anarchy are definitely NOT the same thing.)

Examples of blogs and webpages I've run across along these lines:


Amusingly, the last one had a link to Congress.org which gives you the names and contact info for your legislators based on your zip code, so I find the page useful. But I usually get that info from the AAS's Contact Congress page anyways.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:36 PM, August 29, 2005, Blogger cube said…

    One of my biggest beefs with the ACLU is their stand on NAMBLA, which I believe is a boneheaded defense of the rights of child molesters to molest children. This is not a right.

    Another beef I have with the ACLU is their stand on removing all vestiges of religion from society. I'm not religious myself, but really, they go too far! It's freedom of religion not freedom FROM religion. There is no right to not be offended in our Constitution.

    Sorry, didn't mean to rant.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home