<meta content="blog">

A metablog about blogs and blogging.

03 September 2005

Ungratefulness vs Entitlement

I have discovered a new conservative blog for me to dislike, Ogre's View.


I am very seriously considering withdrawing all my support, financial and otherwise, for victims of the hurricane...

These people are complete and total a-holes. I'm sorry about the language, as I try and keep it clean here, but these people are horrible scum. If I were there and I held out water to someone who hadn't had a drink in 3 days and they said, "about time," I'd yank that damn water back and pour it on the ground.

This is what the "entitlement mentality" breeds. Sorry excuses for humans not just waiting for assistance, but demanding it. Hey scum of the earth in New Orleans: I OWE YOU NOTHING. NOTHING, DAMMIT.

I had been wondering for days why reports kept coming in about people in places "waiting for help." It confused me because if it were me, I wouldn't sit there waiting. I don't care if I had nothing, sitting still waiting wouldn't get me anything. I'd leave, if nothing else, and go find a public water fountain in Florida.

(permalink)



  1. People weren't allowed out of the Superdome, even CNN admitted this in an article yesterday (anyone got a link?) when they said that people to be housed in the Astrodome will be given passes to come and go as they please, as wasn't allowed in the Superdome.

  2. If I had been without water for 5 days or however long it was in 100º weather, I'd be demanding help too. I am just thankful these people were still strong enough to do so. Their rage at the situation may have kept some from giving up and dying.

  3. Ever try walking from New Orleans to Florida? I bet it takes a few days, by which time you'll have died from dehydration in the 100º heat.

  4. You're right, you don't owe anyone anything. But the United States Government does. When we ousted Saddam Hussein, we criticized the living conditions of his people, and we continue to brandish that against Kim Jong-il of North Korea.



I'm not sure whether this guy is hateful, or just ignorant. Interestingly, my own views on the people who didn't leave have changed over the last week as I've learned more. I guess I can conclude that I was ignorant.

4 Comments:

  • At 3:05 PM, September 03, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sigh. I don't even know what to make of the ultra-conservative blogs anymore. It's just stubborness and angst.

     
  • At 5:11 PM, September 03, 2005, Blogger Ogre said…

    But by what right do you claim my money? If you decide that I have water and it belongs to you because you haven't had any in 5 days, how does that make it yours?

    And there's quite literally nothing in the Constitution that states, much less even permits, the government to provide food and water to anyone, anywhere.

    That is the basic argument these days between conservatives and liberals (repubs and demos) -- conservatives support the constitution which does not permit theft from one to feed another; while liberals believe it is the government's job to support everyone.

     
  • At 11:31 PM, September 05, 2005, Blogger Its Me! said…

    Personally, I kind of think it is my right to have water when I'm thirsty considering all the bloody damned taxes I shell out to the government. Oh yah, and food and shelter too!

     
  • At 12:41 AM, September 06, 2005, Blogger zandperl said…

    Dotbar:
    By that argument, people on welfare haven't paid taxes and therefore in an emergency they do not deserve water.

    Ogre:
    I started to write a super-long reply to you here, but decided to promote it to a full post.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home